02: Component Is Just A Fancy Word For Class
Special thanks to Hired for sponsoring this week's episode! If you are a developer looking for a job, Hired is a fantastic place to start looking. If you accept a job through Hired they will give you a $2,000 signing bonus. Even better yet, if you use our link at https://hired.com/doesnotcompute they'll double that to $4,000! What are you waiting for?
Things Mentioned and/or Useful Items
- Rails image management gems: Paperclip, Carrierwave, Refile
- Imgix - Image management
- Pkgr - Deploy rails apps via Debian packages
- Capistrano - A remote server automation and deployment tool
- Slashrocket - Community focused on learning web development
- Smoothstate - Make any site one-page like after initial load (aka Pjax or Turbolinks)
- Animate CSS - A badass collection of CSS transitions and animations that make it easy to spice up your project (responsibly of course)
- Angular - HTML enhanced for web apps! (really?)
- What Backbone developers can learn from React.js
- Don't repeat yourself
What in the world is a Single Page App?
What are Web Components
Web Components are a set of standards currently being produced by Google engineers as a W3C specification that allow for the creation of reusable widgets or components in web documents and web applications. The intention behind them is to bring component-based software engineering to the World Wide Web.